We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring firefox bookmarks and passwords to another account

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks, Can anyone please tell if there's an easy way to transfer my firefox bookmarks and passwords from one xp account to another?I googled but it seemed quite a tedious process? I deleted a couple of index.dat files from the admin account and they didn't go to the recycle bin?When I rebooted my main account was corrupt with my settings gone?I'll now have to transfer to my other account/profile and delete the "main" one.Any help is much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't know if this will work but it should. Open Firefox - Show all bookmarks (ctrl-shift-b) then on Import and Backup - Export to html - Save in public area or to memory stick. Close this account - open other account - open Firefox, Show all bookmarks again and import as html from saved location.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi hiwatt

I use MozBackup, a little free download. It will save all your settings, bookmarks, addons etc. You would need to install MozBackup on both machines. I find this brilliant, especially as I have Thunderbird, so it does for both.

MozBackup

The other alternative is to copy your 'Profile' across. Read here

Hope that helps you

Cheers

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks,thanks for the replies.I ended up having to import them as a json file and put in all the passwords manually(luckily I had copies of them)What a day the whole account was corrupt so I had to make a new one and delete my main account. @aroundagain that little add on would have been just the trick but I only seen your post today.Oh well thanks anyway.I'll definitely back them up now.Thanks.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Sorry, hiwatt, that I saw your post too late to have been of help to you this time but, as you say, this little program will be invaluable to you in the future and for back up's.

Cheers

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Look under Favourites/Organise Favourites/Backup

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It should come under Export, to a file or USB stick

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings