We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

deleting files - does it damage the hard drive?

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

Windows 7 Home Edition. I use Ccleaner to delete files/ internet history etc. It is on default one pass deletion but notice it has options up to 35 pass deletion. Does the 35 pass deletion put a lot of wear on the hard drive? I ask as I ran it once and apart from taking ages to do the hard drive seemed noisier than usual.

Thank you

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

No

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

perhaps Compumac's correct answer needs a little clarification

When a file marked 'delete' it not actually 'scrubbed' from the disc What happens is the 'index' reference is switched off so the file still exists on the disc untill the released space is over written- as those who have something to hide have discovered to their chagrin.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your not talking about deleting files that happens all the time with normal operation of the PC and it doesn't harm the drive.

You are talking about using ccleaners wipe drive (or wipe free space)option for making sure a file is permanently erased and unrecoverable.

What this does is overwrite where the file or space is located with zeros making any data unrecoverable its the writing data several times that takes up all the time and makes the "noise" again it does no harm to the drive.

However a SSD has a limited number of read-write operations so data should be kept on a "normal drive" and the SSD used for the op system only.

I.E. Do Not Defrag a SSD or Use a driver wiper /erasure program with lots of passes on a SSD

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It's probably true to say that any hard drive will fail after some number of rotations/head accesses. They are fundamentally mechanical devices. As such, in theory, the more they're used, the faster they're likely to wear out/break. But that's pretty relative in the grand scheme of things. A multipass erase such as the one you're talking about would certainly shorten your drive's life - but by only minutes or hours at worst, I'd guess - against a likely lifetime that's measurable in years. As Fruit Bat says: SSDs are very different animals, not least because they're electronic, not mechanical.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I should add that I merely said a very brief NO as I was on my way out of the house and was therefore unable to elaborate further. I regarded the CCleaner cleaning action alone as having no detrimental effect whatsoever in respect of wear and tear.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you all

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can use get programs that will remove clear space, ie; things deleted from Index file, but leaving the files

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers