We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems Recording.

Dave510

Likes # 0

Iam trying to record Vinyl from my Hi Fi to my Laptop which is a new Laptop Iam on Windows 7 Home Premium Using windows internet Explorer I use an RCA cable from my Hi Fi to A preamp then a lead from my preamp to my Laptop which is a Dj Tech RCA2USB The Microphone on My sounds is on all I hear is the recorded Vinyl plus Background Ie Television or someone Talking in the Background To rectify this I turn the Microphone to 0 then I cannot record anything Can you Please help me.

Many Thanks.

David Swift.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It would seem to me that the correct input source ie USB is not being selected but mic in is being selected. The usb device should show up in recording devices and needs to be selected as the default device.

Like this post
Dave510

Likes # 0

I cant find the USB device in sounds how can I get this as Default Manager Should I download it from Somewhere?

Dave.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does it show in recording devices? Control Panel- Hardware and Sound - Sound - Manage audio devices and then look on the recording tab?

Another thought - are you running windows 7 64 bit? The djtech site doesn't indicate that it works with 64 bit.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this, open the sound recording properties box. Now plug in the usb connection, does anything show up once you switch on the HI-Fi and start the software? Try playing a vinyl and see if Audacity can pick it up with mic disabled. Try another usb port.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The following are quotes from Audacity guide:

The turntable must be switched on and its USB cable connected to the computer before launching Audacity, because Audacity is not able to recognise a device if you plug it in while it's already running. Select the USB Audio CODEC as the recording device.. (continued on webpage) http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_turntables

Audacity Tutorials Index suggest you start here and click on link for 'Your First Recording' which may help with setting it up. Have you looked on the CD for a manual as usually there is a guide for setting up Audacity to work with the piece of equipment that it came with.

Also useful Audacity Forum (but I haven't browsed it to find relevant info)

Like this post
Dave510

Likes # 0

I cant register on Audacity Forum as Someone has the same E-mail address as Mine

Dave.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Name possibly - email no.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"same E-mail address as Mine"

If that were so, then you would both be receiving email for yourself and the other person. As rdave says: Name possibly - email no

Like this post
Dave510

Likes # 0

Could someone Please look on the Audacity web site to see why when I record I hear the background Noise ie Television on or Someone talking in the Background when recording from my Hi Fi Vinyl there is so much information on there For me to choose from.

Many Thanks.

Dave.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Can you hear the records playing through laptops speakers?

You seem to be recording whatever your laptops microphone can hear in the room. You must have chosen the mic input for your sound in Audacity.

In Audacity, what are the choices you get for the sound recording device? do you get the "USB Audio Codec" choice?

Please note: I am not an expert on this but will help if I can.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen