We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old computer goes into loop at starup

griffon56

Likes # 0

I wonder if anyone can help? An old Duron 950 with 512MB RAM running WinXP SP3 was dragged out of retirement and started once normally. However, on re-starting it did not get beyond the WinXP loading screen with its moving progress bar, which lasted about 20 secs. Then after about 30 secs of black screen the Welcome screen flashed on briefly before returning, after another 30 secs of black screen, to the POST and BIOS displays and repeating the startup process as far as the WinXP loading screen again.

It then went round this loop over and over again. Any ideas?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As you have not used this PC for a while then adding a bit more RAM and a clean install of XP will work wonders.

Like this post
griffon56

Likes # 0

Yes, it probably would Chronus, if I could only get it started. That's the problem and I wouldn't think increasing the RAM would cure it. I need to get it out of the loop it goes into when the start button is pressed. Previously it worked faultlessly, I never had any problems when it was my main machine over 4 years ago. It has also started OK at odd times in that 4 years and hasn't been touched or modified in that time. It ought to work OK. As you will have seen, it did start OK earlier today, it was from the second startup that things went wrong. Any other ideas?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try a repair install of XP perhaps? Or try system restore from safe mode.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Hard Drive may be Frozen, they do this if not used for some time. You could try removing the drive the flicking the drive edge to edge like starting a old clockwork watch to get it going. if not try F8 as its starting then last known good configuration

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In BIOS alter the setting for 'Halt on All Errors' then it should display error message instead of trying to reboot each time.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Possibly need a new CMOS battery if it has not been switched on for a long time.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Sounds like a corrupt boot sector

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I would follow lotvic's solution for starters (alter in the BIOS to halt on all errors)

This is non-destructive and may give a hint from the message which will appear on screen. Don't count on its accuracy or relevance, but has to be worth a try.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If its crashing back to BIOS on start then could be several things.

Try and start in safemode first by tapping F8 at boot and selecting safemode from the menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers