We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Drive Problem

Ventad
Resolved

Likes # 0

Formatted an external HDD and now computer keeps recognising it as Floppy Drive 'A' drive. Tried all things like uninstalling, then reinstalling with then states found new hardware installing driver, (floppy drive again).tried in CMOS cannot change drive letter. Any suggestions will be great fully received . The external is a MAXTOR Basics now owned by seagate tried their checking tool but cannot find HDD if installed as 'A' drive or before PC installs floppy driver.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Boot to the BIOS and then Disable Floppy Drive Search.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Nontek Thanks for that advice, tried to write this last night from two different computers but could not open PCA.

So far I have disabled Floppy drive and now when booting up does not load drivers for same. Tried adding hardware in control panel but it does not see it, does not even come up with MAXTOR in choose your own hardware to add!

A little bit miffed at the moment the light is on and I can feel the drive going when holding the case.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Right Click on My Computer then on Manage/Disk Management it should show in there and you should be able to change it. You may need to Format it in Disk Manager

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Right Click on My Computer then on Manage/Disk Management it should show in there and you should be able to change it. You may need to Format it in Disk Manager

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip

Have tried that but it doesn't show up in disc management, even tried it on a W7 laptop but does not find it as new hardware. I find it funny that with floppy enabled in the bios it finds it and loads the drivers !! But that does not show show in the disc management only in my computer if I then click on it it asks to insert disc.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have a look in Device Manager for any yellow icons if there is click on them and uninstall them then either go to Control Panel Add New Hardware wizard or Restart the Pc without the drive connected then after its loaded plug the drive in

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Thanks Woodchip,

Have done all that I think the problem is that when I purchased it 3years ago it did not come with a disc it even says this in the paperwork but it had a small bit of software on the disc making it come up as disc 'F' on the computer, I forgot this when I formatted it having transferred every thing to another disc. Looks like I might of binned it by accident!

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Disc meaning software disc.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you tried this Seagate trouble shooter?

I've just binned a Maxtor One touch which constantly failed to be recognised often taking multiple attempts.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

woolwell

Yes I did try that but it did not find the external hard drive. I was wondering if I took it out of the case and tried to install directly into the computer wether it could be saved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...