We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I find a safe PDF reader, please?

kim12

Likes # 0

I have a need to read some pdf readers, which are SAFE to use! I have tried several, but all I seem able to get are programs which instantly take me to Babylon, or even worse, StartNow.

a) I need a safe program which will do what it is supposed to.

b) I need a way to get rid of Babylon and its endless Startnow cronies!!

So desperate, I would even resort to PAYING for a program. TIA Kim Pavey

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I use Foxit, click here

Babylon removal, click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Adobe Reader Adobe but do untick the box to install McAfee Security Scan Plus or Foxit Foxit Reader. It is always best to download from the actual site.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I use Foxit same as rdave13, download from Foxit site.

Whenever you install any program always look out for and UNtick any toolbars or extra bits during the install.

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

Thanks for advice. I use gmail online, and I usually leave it running as I have a lot of emails. If I am using one or more items from the taskbar beneath Google's various goodies. Babylon comes up when I need to use more than one item. As of now, nothing I have tried will prevent it from joining in.I am running XP, if that is helpful. All my efforts at finding a usable pdf reader so far have come to nothing. If I do manage to produce something, it will only show me a picture of whatever I have opened, rather than the actual page. When I do this, the only way to get it off the screen is to crash my system.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In your browser you need to manage your search engines. In IE open tools, manage add-ons then search providers and remove Babylon and others as in link above. In firefox, If I remember correctly, click the down arrow in the search bar on right and select manage search engines. Also check plug-ins and extensions. Which program reads your PDFs now? Uninstall it then install Foxit reader.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If Firefox is your browser: look in Tools, Options, Applications and scroll down list to 'PDF Document' click on it to hightlight it and then at right under Action column you will get a drop down arrow menu to choose what you want to happen. I have mine set to 'Always Ask' so when I click on a .pdf link I then get popup box, choice of being able to save to pc or to open with a program of my choice.

Like this post
kim12

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you. Easy when you know how, isn't it? myself I used to be quite clever, but nowadays I am just SENILE about a lot of things. Many thanks. Kim

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to put the Babylon url in the hosts file. You will find HOSTS file in Windows/System32/Drivers/etc double click Hosts to open it in Notepad and to edit it re-save after you enter the url

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015