We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I repair damaged files following recovery?

Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Hi - I had to take my pc to a shop after it died spectacularly, and the kind gentleman recovered our files. However, some I cannot open to determine what they are (they came back re-named file 1, file 2 etc!) as they say they are damaged. Is there simple repair programme out there (preferable free). some have ~$ or _$ at the start of the filename. I am guessing .TMP are temporary files, so can be deleted. Any ideas?

PurpleSue

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I don't think you will get these files back, they sound like Scandisk files, And I would say the Hard Drive as been replaced

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

files were saved for us to a external hard drive- and that is disappointing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

They are called Chains by Scandisk it does not know what to do with them so it stores all the bits in those type of files above. They are like Orphans

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Thanks guys - recovery fix looks very expensive, and if my pc failed due to a virus or something, maybe they are best left alone. Thought there may be a freeware thing or something I could try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...