We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to stack text in Word 2007??

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm trying to get 'stacked' text in Word 2007. I can achieve this in Excel 2007(Text Box/Format Shape/Text Box/Text Direction=Stacked) and then Paste result but is there a way of doing it in Word without all that bother?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Thanks for that. Unfortunately neither do what I require. I'm trying to achieve something that looks like a title on a book spline, the Equation editor only works on a single line and the second method, whilst achieving what I want, means I have to have a text box for each letter. So far it's easier to Paste from Excel.

Any more suggestions more than welcome.

cc

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Zak

It's not vertical text I want, it's stacked text. Vertical text you have to turn your head 90deg to read. Stacked text has each letter above each other but the correct way up. L I K E T H I S Bet that doesn't look right when I post.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Knew it wouldn't. Anyroad, you know what I mean ;-))

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

csqwared - that's fine just format text direction to be horizontal.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Zak

Sorry mate, seem to be missing something here. If I follow the instructions in your link there are only three Text direction options; Horizontal (as this is displayed), Rotated 90deg right and reading downwards from the top right hand corner of page or rotated 90deg left and reading upwards from bottom left hand corner of page. What I'm after is each letter horizontal, each letter below the previous one and reading from top of page downwards.

L

I

K

E

T

H

I

S

Hopefully that displays properly this time

Thanks for your input

cc

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

would it be that after each letter you press 'enter'? or have I missed the point too? are you meaning in a table, or columns?

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Purple Sue

No, not tables or columns. If you have Excel 2007 try(Text Box/Format Shape/Text Box/Text Direction=Stacked) and you'll see what I mean. It formats the text easily and quickly, in a text box, to look like the "LIKE THIS" in my post of 9.27pm. You do achieve the same effect by pressing the "Return" after each letter but then you get tracking/kerning/spacing problems.

cc

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I'm going to bail out for tonight, the site is just about unusable. I'll be back tomorrow to check on any progress.

Thanks folks

cc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...