We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

free website template not functioning properly

colourflow

Likes # 0

I have download a free website template which looks very good. Only problem is that I cannot get the Contact Page/Form to work or the Site Search facility to work. Is there anyone out there that would be able to help.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

If you download a template, as in this case you tend to just get the visible aspects of forms/search boxes, not the parts which make them work i.e. process the data. There's a short explanation here:

http://www.ezyform.com/formprocess.html

Your host is likely to have built in options, or not to hard to find php examples on the web, or find a site which will make the file online (just search on "website email" and take your pick). The issue is that security aspects are rarely well covered and forms can present a vulnerability. You could also use a remote mail service, where they handle the processing.

If you have real problems with search, you could just use:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/sitesearch/index.html

Easy to implement and plenty of support.

Another option is to contact the site builder and see if they have forms ready, they often do (again security not guaranteed). You could then also ask them if they have a responsive version of what is a pleasant template. A photography site will see high mobile/tablet use, the current site not good for that.

Final point, don't know if you are on some form of free/ over crammed hosting, looks as if the host offers that but in any event, the server is not happy handling your very good but heavy images. You might want to make a move.

Like this post
colourflow

Likes # 0

Hi Ansolan

Thanks for coming back so quickly. Currently paying for Broadband and Hosting through Freeola. I have downloaded a Contact.php file from the website where I got the template from but do not have a clue how to get this up and running. New to all this coding lark. Files that came with the template are: HTML, CSS & JS In the JS there is atooltip, cufon-replace, cufon-yui, hover-image, html5, jquery.easing, jquery 1.2, prettyphoto, jquery 1.5.2, roundabout, roundaboutshapes, script, tabs and TerminalDosis_300 font also PIE.htc and PIE.php. So unfortunately still floundering.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

In the HTML for Contact.html, you currently have on line 49:

< form id="search" method="post" >

Upload the php file to the server and make sure you know the correct path to where the file is stored. Then change the code to:

< form id="search" method="post" action="/path/thenameofthefile.php" >

Life isn't always that simple, so no guarantees, or on security but if this is the file built for the template, a fair chance. Make sure to change the destination email address in the php file to yours, probably something like:

$EmailTo = "youraddress@thedomain.com";

Still a good idea to read all you can on forms in general and security. Sounds as if you have plenty more to read as well, have fun.

Like this post
colourflow

Likes # 0

Hi Ansolan

Thanks for your help will give it a try and see how it goes

Like this post
colourflow

Likes # 0

Hi Ansolan

Have tried everything you suggested but to no avail. Still not able to get the contact form or the Site search working.

Regards

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

There's nothing in your contact page to make a form work at present, appreciate you may have deleted that.

Not too much more I can do from here. You could use an online service of the Wufoo type, most have a free option for one site. Or your hosts facilities, or search online for php email form, lots of examples but not all secure. If entirely stuck you could go somewhere like:

Telepro

Stay on the old page, not the new. Then just build a php file to suit the options in your form and proceed as before, with this in place of the downloaded php file.

Like this post
colourflow

Likes # 0

Hi Ansolan,

Have tried so many different things to try to get my contact page up and running but to no avail.

I am obviously doing something wrong but do not know what. Any help would be gratefully received.

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

A couple of points:

method="post" action="contact.php" is in the code for your search box, not the contact form.

The html entries for the contact form do not have any calls for the php file e.g. name="EmailFrom"

Your E-mail:

or whatever name"....." matches with the entries in contact.php.

You should get the idea from:

http://www.freecontactform.com/email_form.php

Like this post
colourflow

Likes # 0

Hi Ansolan,

Have finally managed to get the Contact Page to partially work. When someone uses it I get notification on my hoster email but there is no text - what am I doing wrong!!!!

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

Have another read of the post above re name="EmailFrom" etc. and have a look at the example in the linked page.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...