We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Movie Maker Opening Error

tonyq

Likes # 0

Any Windows Movie Maker experts,I have made a movie in WMM,which consists of 7 short videos,with transitions,then saved to my PC (Windows Vista) No problems there. When I come to open the file again,I get the following error message, "The directory name is invalid" and will not open.Help Please!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You have two options - you could first try a system restore if the problem/error is recent OR uninstall/reinstall Windows Live Essential(WMM is a part of that)

Go to control panel - Programs and Features - uninstall "Windows Live Essentials" - Reboot then reinstall Windows live Essentials. Reinstalling Windows Live Essentials WILL NOT mess up any thing all you have to do once you have reinstalled it is sign in to messenger if you have it.

Your files appear messed up and you have to clear any damaged files by uninstalling etc.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am assuming that your Windows Updates are up-to-date and therefore WLE is up to date.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"then saved to my PC"

do you mean you have saved the project (still working on it) or you have Published (saved the finished movie) to watch in any of your Media Players and your Media Player can't find it to open.

Which program is giving you the message?

"The directory name is invalid" I interpret that as meaning it's not called that anymore, you must have changed the name of the file or something.

Or am I off the mark and it's when you click on the movie file to open it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You may also find that "disabling" UAC (User Account Control) solves this problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Vista Movie Maker is not quite the same one as you get in "Windows Live Essentials"

Vista Movie Maker came as part of Vista and has more features than the "Windows Live Essentials" cut down version.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

the best free guide site I've found for all versions of Movie Maker is http://www.papajohn.org/ choose from menu on the left side.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi all,I now find that if I open WMM,then open the file from there,it opens o.k. I am using Vista Movie Maker I think! WMM Version 6.0. 6002.1827773

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think it must still be a project then.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

lotvic, great site that you posted. http://www.papajohn.org/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Certainly is, I always check on there to find out how to do stuff :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED