We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant get IE to work on my vista laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I can get google chrome to work fine on my Asus laptop but IE wont open the pages properly, I would like to uninstall IE completely and re-install it, but I cant find IE programme in the control panel under programmes, what should I do?? thanks LAPOPDUNCE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try going to all programs, accessories, system tool then IE (no add-ons). When it opens go to tools, internet options, Advanced tab and click the reset tab for IE. Close IE then start from your usual shortcut.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks I have done that, am running two computers on the same router so I can see that the google chrome browser still opens immediately on the Asus laptop but when reopening the IE browser its still takes ages for the Yahoo home page (its set on yahoo home page) to come on, I have just run a broadband speed check (its on talktalk UK broadband and its pretty good speeds) so its not the broadband connection. The IE yahoo home page finally appears but I cant click on the mail option as there is still a tab at the top with a rotating icon thing which must mean it is still all loading, there must be something wrong with the computer?? but if google chrome comes on immediately I cant think what it can be, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What about other web pages - do they open OK in IE? I they do, there may be a problem with the Yahoo site, rather than with your computer.

Try loading a simple,fast web page, and see how that goes... click here to try it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You say Chrome opens straight away, but is it's home page Yahoo as well?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Forum editor, the Google chrome browser open with "babylon" on the home page, I get the link to open to the chrome page immediately when using this chrome browser (which I am using now) but the IE is so slow it wont even open for ages and ages and then it wont open a site at all, this is an Asus laptop (I have NEVER liked this laptop really) and am wondering if it needs to have a complete restore like I did with the acer laptop (and is now fine) after my post which fruitbat answered so well, I dont use this Asus laptop very much, I have always found it quite slow compared to the Acer laptop, but now it is just IMPOSSIBLE, I have run the antimalwarebytes scan and fixed on 6 issues, have "wiped" the free space on c and the d drive at level 3 on CCcleaner, but I just dont know what to do now, would you recommend a complete restore to factory setting and then reload windows from the back-up disks? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

forum editor: I have just loaded the PCadvisor site using IE (takes ages) and finally got to see my posts and then clicked on that link to the google homepage and it did open it after a few seconds, so that seems to be OK but just opening websites and then getting into specific pages takes ages and ages, I get a tab at the top of the page with that round icon rotating for ages and ages. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try command prompt and type in, ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.It should tell you that the DNS cache has been cleared if using XP reboot to see if it makes any difference.If anything else you do not need to reboot.

Check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks.

or try Internet options Advanced and press restore advanced settings.See if that does any good.

While it is opening slowly go into Taskmanager and see what is using up most of the CPU under processes.

If you have reset I/E some of your add ons may no longer be working and if you use spywareblaster you will have to go back into that and enable the security again.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I will have to do that tomorrow, Its an Asus laptop with Windows Vista, I dont think I am running spywareblaster, Is it the little window in the start panel that is called "run" in Windows XP where I type in the ipconfig/flushdns and press enter? I will have a go in the morning, I am really thinking of doing a complete recovery on this laptop as I have the Asus recover disk still and after a long performance of doing a complete reovery on this XP laptop I am now using it has really worked well and is like a new computer, but it was a TERRIBLE time to reload all the programmes and tweak all the settings, download the things like framework and service pack 3 etc., etc., for the Windows XP. I dont use the Asus laptop much but it is running really slow apart from the IE problem and I have already backed up the photos and documents in case I do a reovery for that laptop, what do you think?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Go into run and type cmd then press Ok command prompt will open and just type ipconfig /flushdns into that.Then press enter on the keyboard.Remember to leave a little gap between the ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.

What other Security programs have you got apart from malwarebytes.

Maybe try Disk cleanup if you have not used it before.

My Computer.Right click C Drive and click on properties.Then press clean up.

While on that check how much space you have left on your C Drive it should tell you the used space and the free space.

Once you do that you could go into Tools and click on defrag.Now that can take a while if you have not run it before.

Remember to check Device manager for problems.Microsoft reacts badly to unsigned or corrupt drivers which leads to slow start ups.

Cant comment on recovery for laptop as I have never tried it.It would be as a last resort.

You could run chkdsk but it would probably take ages it takes about 2-3 hours on my computer not sure how long it would take on a slow laptop.

Any way if you want to try it just above cleanup click on tools.Check now,And tick both boxes then press start,it will tell you to reboot for it to start,Like I said it will take a while.

If any problems in your drive it should fix them.

Right click my computer and click on properties and it should tell you how much installed memory that you have,Old XP computers used to have 512Mb so anything above that would be Ok.

Another way to open a command box is to go to all programs.Accessories and right click on Command prompt and click on run as administrator.

Anything that you are not sure of just ask someone will be able to advise you.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Google chrome browser open with "babylon" on the home page. Just wondering if it's Babylon causing the problem in IE. click here .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)