We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ISP Change Giving Outlook Problems

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have been with the same ISP for years. Originally it was Freeserve, they became Wannado, and now they are Orange. That means that I have retained the same email addy for over 20years - which is great because I've got records of business and friends going back a long way. Orange have now demanded that I change to their landline, and if I don't they are going to cut off my internet! (I'm not sure that this is legal and Trading Standards are looking into it). However, it doesn't really matter because Orange just can't stop their servers from falling over (several times a day sometimes), so I will dump them and switch to BT. Their router is naff as well because it often 'goes to sleep' and cuts off the ADSL line. But this leaves me with a problem. I have hundreds and hundreds of emails on Outlook in my Freeserve username. If I switch to BT I will lose it - and all access to that account. Is there any way I can log into that account again so that I can see the emails after I make the switch? Alternatively is there any way I can save the mails (not one at a time) so that I can refer back to them later? Or possibly migrate all of the mails to my new user account in Outlook. I can't be the only person with this problem.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If the emails have been downloaded to your pc then it doesn't matter about a change as you will still have all of your old emails. However after a period of time you will not be able to access new emails or send with your old email address.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW it was 1998 that Freeserve started only 14 years ago.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Oh - either that date is wrong or maybe there was an earlier one then? In fact my account is so old my password has only 4 digits!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Some email programmes access the emails on their own server. As mentioned, if you have Outlook as a client, all your old emails will stay on your PC after change of ISP.

By the way, Plusnet (an offshoot of BT) have a UK call centre and are doing some good deals at the moment.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

I think that's the case for me onthelimit - the mails are on my PC. The problem will be that I will have a new username and email addy. How can I access the old account? Can I log into Outlook under my old username as well as my new one - and how?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't need to log in to access the e-mails that are on your system. They will be in your inbox or archived folders. Is this Outlook or Outlook Express?

The 1998 date is correct. I was working for DSG at the time and remember it being brought in (dial-up of course).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You open Outlook as usual and then Add a new e-mail account. (Tools | Accounts) You can have as many different email accounts as you want. Hotmail, gmail, gmx, etc etc Outlook will collect them all for you.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Sorry chaps - I've been working away so a delayed replying. It is Outlook Express 6 running in WinXP SP3. At the moment it automatically starts on startup and displays my emails. When I change ISP it will log into a different account on my new ISP's email server. So I'm a bit confused by the advice. Will the old emails in my old name still be visible, or will I have to log out of the new email and open my old email account - which will just display my old emails? Either way how do I do it? (Incidentally, my emails go back to 2004 on that machine but earlier mails from an older machine are stored in a pst file. As the mail addy is an fsnet one then you are probably correct - the earliest it can go back to is 1998 - it just seems a lot longer ago!)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The old e-mails are in Outlook Express on your computer in your inbox and will remain there. Your new e-mail address should add new e-mails to the inbox.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

It's been a while since I have used Outlook Express, but if you are concerned about loosing emails (should not happen) then drag and drop from the OE folder tree to a windows location, this will back up those files.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September