We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fitting a new sound card.

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

The sound card built into my mother board has died, and I want to fit a new pci sound card.

I was told I had to go into bios and de-select the on board sound card.

After giving the delete button a good jabbing I got into bios, but I can see no mention of anything to do with sound.

There are four main page tags...Main...Advanced...Power...Boot.

Where might I find what I am looking for, and could it be called something I might not recognise?

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Usually if you install a PCI or PCI-E sound card, that will automatically unselect the onboard sound chip. You don't mention the OS but I would check device manager first to see if any problems and would check Services that Windows audio is started and on auto and also check sound properties to see if nothing is muted and what is set to default.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

It isn't that the on board sound card doesn't work at all, it works partialy, the sound breaks up and distorts.

Richard

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you checked your connections? Try headphones in the socket to see if the same. I bought one of these as my front connection got damaged and works okay. ebay.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

P.S., you get two here and good ratings, Amazon

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Normally it is either a loose connection on the cable or the connections in the socket are no longer making contact (wiggle plug - If it feels loose- that is the problem.

I had a problem (loose contacts in socket) and solved it with a USB sound device. Plug it in(load software) and it replaces the original built in sound card.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I also think it likely to get disabled when you install the new PCI soundcard but if it doesn't:

Disable the existing Asus sound driver in Windows Device Manager, then reboot to BIOS.

AMIBIOS: In the bios it is called 'Onboard AC'97 (bios setup utility, in the blue bar under 'Advanced')

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I think I shall come back to the forum when I have the new sound card.

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Why buy a Card and fiddle about inside your PC, when for less than a £10 you can plug a Sound Dongle into a spare USB Socket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers