We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extend Wireless / Wired Network

Smitster

Likes # 0

Hi all - wonder if you can help me.

I currently have a Sky router (with wireless / wired connnections) connected to a BT phone line in the top bedroom. There are connections from this router to a bedroom PC and it also acts as a wireless point for my iPad / iPhone when i'm upstairs.

I currently have an ethernet cable running from this primary router to the living room downstairs, for a hardwire connection into the downstairs PC as well.

However, my wireless coverage downstairs is incredibly weak and I am looking to boost this so that that the apple devices can function properly here. I would also like the option of connecting more hardwired devices downstairs (e.g. the laptop).

Was thinking of buying a second router

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YETVTQ/ref=ohdetailso00s00i00

and connecting it via the ethernet cable to the primary router upstairs, to act as a switch / wireless booster for the wired / wireless devices downstairs.

Would this work, and if so, will there be any config required?

Thanks for your help,

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you get a second router buy a cable router to use as a wireless access point and plug you downstairs wired point into that.Or you could use a wireless range extender

Range extender

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have a similar setup to you, and I use Netgear wireless router plugged into the ethernet cable. I had to do some tweaks to the IP address, but it now works fine. Or, as suggested, [something like this ]1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks