We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon Pixma MP 600 MFP will not switch on

griffon56
Resolved

Likes # 0

A 6 year old Canon Pixma MP 600 MFP suddenly switched off while printing and will not switch on again. The soft touch electronic switch has felt un-positive for a while and that may be it, but such switches are always light. Power is getting to the machine and the power lead will supply other devices. Tho' it may not be relevant the computer is a 1 year old Packard-Bell iMedia D2525UK running 64 bit Win 7 with 3GB RAM.

There were no symptoms leading up to the sudden failure.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As it failed while in use and the lead/fuse/socket etc are OK, sounds like a failure of the machine's circuit board. Terminal on a machine that age, I'd say.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

General domestic use printer's are very cheap nowadays, its the print cartridges that can get very expensive, depending on the type and supply source. Getting repairs can prove not very cost effective, unless you have spare machines available at no further cost, and you know what you are doing with repairs and components.

If you are satisfied that power is getting into the printer, and its a faulty switch, then that might be your answer. Before writing-off the unit, try a latest driver install, and see if that resolves any issues?.

Like this post  
griffon56

Likes # 0

Thanks for that both. I don't think it's a driver problem Spuds because I've found that if the printer is disconnected from the computer and left off for a while, it lights up briefly before switching off again. Looks more like some such thing as a hold-in relay is not latching after initial connection. Whatever, I agree with you both that it's probably terminal, thanks again for your attention.

It seems a pity, the print engine, scanner optics, etc and all the the other parts are probably perfectly OK. I think I'll give it to a charity to see what they can do with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback