We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem connecting Epson SX535WD scanner

morters
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of weeks ago my TP-Link wireless router packed up. Through the support team, I eventually realised it needed replacing. This took ten days, during which time I had no wireless connectivity, preventing internet access and use of an Epson SX535WD printer.

When I eventually got a new router and access to the internet, I found I could not connect my printer. Epson support helped me get it connected so I can now print and copy. But it will not connect to the scanner – I get ‘Cannot communicate with the scanner’ error message. Epson support took me through various tests/adjustments but, though everything suggested that the scanner should be working, it wasn’t. Epson think it may be a problem on my pc (Dell, Windows 7) but I am at a loss as to what. Have tried disabling firewall and anti-virus but to no avail.

I’m not at all technically minded and am quietly going round the twist wondering what the hell to do. Can anyone advise, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've got the same printer and haven't had any problems at all. You should be able to scan from printer to pc. Does that work?

Have you uninstalled the software on the pc and re-installed it? I suspect that the printer has a new IP address compared to the TP-link and the PC is looking for the old address.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell

Not sure what you mean by 'scan from printer to pc' - is that any different from just scanning something?

Yes, have uninstalled/reinstalled all software (this was initial solution Epson suggested, ie reinstall printer again fro scratch). When I found the scanner problem, they suggested uninstalling/reinstalling just the canner software element. And, yes, added new IP address

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sorry, 'canner' should, of course, read scanner!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are 2 ways to scan with the printer. Open Epson scan on the pc or use the control panel on the printer - select scan and choose your pc. Can you see the PC on the printer?

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell

Managed to scan via printer (result!) but saw no indication of printer on pc. I might be doing something stupid, like I said, 'I’m not at all technically minded'.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

After Uninstall a Printer you need to remove as much as you can find on the system, both in Regedit and Windows Find. Then reinstall software as though you may think you removed the Printer there are lots of bits left on the PC including some settings, this may be what is stopping it working

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Thanks woodchip

I'm afraid you've lost me somewhat. You say 'both in Regedit and Windows Find' - I simply went to 'uninstall a program' to delete, have no idea what Regedit is, sorry for my ignorance.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

My apologies Woolwell and woodchip, but I have to go out for pre-arranged meeting at 20.00. Thank you for your help and apologies for being a pain in the nether regions. Won't be able to post again until tomorrow, but please, if you have any suggestions, post here.

Like this post
morters

Likes # 0

Sincere apologies for enforced break.

If anyone's still out there, in my anxiety to try and sort out the scanning element, I forgot about something else that turns out to reveal another problem:

When using the Epson wizard to install the printer, I was instructed to temporarily connect the printer to the pc with a USB cable and not to remove it until told to do so. Near the end of the process I got an installation failed message, though printing and copying was possible. Because installation did not complete, I did not reach the stage where the wizard instructs you to remove the USB cable; removing it now stops the printer working. So now I have non-wireless printer!!!

This really is a bit of a mess. Would it be pointless rebooting in safe mode with connectivity and attempting to follow the wizard again? Sorry if that flaunts my ignorance.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are 2 ways to connect - by usb and wirelessly. You should not need to connect by USB at all. Your scanning problem could well be related to the fact that you have an incorrect installation. I think that you may be best off by removing the software, uninstalling the printer/scanner and starting again. It is important that you follow the instructions step by step exactly. You choose usb or wireless quite early on. I have connected this printer to 3 laptops and a desktop all wirelessly without any trouble. Is the wireless light lit up on the front of the printer?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers