We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

APPCRASH during gaming, can't find a solution

AnthonyJV

Likes # 0

I’ve been having more and more issues recently with an APPCRASH error. It happens when I play a number of different games and there doesn’t appear to be any pattern (sometimes it happens within minutes of starting to play and other times it can take over an hour). The screen freezes and then goes black and then crashes to the desktop with an APPCRASH error message and a note saying that my graphics card stopped responding and then recovered.

So far I’ve not been able to solve the problem. I’ve updated all my drivers, turned off background programmes and tried running the games at a lower graphics setting but none of these have helped. Has anyone got any other ideas of what I might try? My next thought is to start again with a fresh install of Windows 7.

My current specs are as follows: - Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.83 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4800 series graphics card (512 Mb), Windows 7 (64 bit).

I’m very tempted to upgrade my graphics card and probably move away from ATI altogether and back to nVidia as this is the second card from ATI that I’ve had trouble with now.

Many thanks for your help, Anthony

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The 4800 series is certainly getting a bit long in the tooth now. Have you considered something like the HD6850? or a bit cheaper the GTX550 and a bit more expensive the GTX560?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The 4800 series might be getting on but it was a pretty good GPU series, particularly the 4870 and 90, I still have one in my secondary PC.But I notice you only have a GPU with 512MB of RAM so depending on the type of games you are playing the lack of VRAM could be significant.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...