We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to Recover Files from a laptop with a broken screen?

SASB3LL

Likes # 0

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which i have recently cracked the screen so i cant get a display. I have bought a new laptop instead of screen replacement because they no longer make the screen for my laptop but i need to recover some files from it. I have tried running it through a TV but couldn't get a display so i am now at an impasse not wanting to pay extortionate fees for a HDD Recovery service. I have thought about purchasing a adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :) Dom

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

adapter to plug the old HDD into in order to open it in my new laptop but i want to be certain this will work if it is even possible

Yes, that's the way to do it. If you buy a caddy to put it in, then you can make the old Harddrive into a very useful External Harddrive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just get a 2.5ins USB Caddy that supports the drive Sata or IDE. Then plug it into new laptop and get at your files

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm surprised you didn't get display on TV, did you press the correct keyboard buttons for the external display function?

Like this post
SASB3LL

Likes # 0

Thanks, wheres best to buy the adapter from please?

and i did press the right buttons yeah i was surprised i didn't get a display too but not to worry i will just purchase an adapter :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I got a cheapy adaptor cable (not caddy) like this one through Amazon ClickHere I got it yonks ago, can't remember which supplier. You might only be wanting a cable ClickHere (or you might decide about a caddy)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd also check your connections on the new laptop as some have e-sata or USB 3 ports on them. Then think of getting an enclosure with the same connection, as your transfer rates will be much higher than USB 2.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have the same adapter as mentioned by lotvic, in his first link - it is an excellent piece of kit and will certainly enable you to accomplish transferring your data.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I use this one from ebuyer it does the job OK and comes with a cable. I looked for a USB3 caddy but didn't some across one. Your drive is a 2.5" SATA accoding to the Dell spec.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I recently bought a Sata caddy (enclosure) off Amazon for £2:99

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund