We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot boot from replacement HDD

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have just replaced my old HDD with a bigger one but cannot get it to boot from the new one whatever I do. O/S is Win7 Home Premium. Drives are sata. Copied everything from the old to the new (cloned the C to D) When I try new drive I get error (boot mgr missing) or NTLD missing and some others of the same vein. Tried many times and looked at postings here and on the net but just can`t get it to work. Any suggestions.

Ray

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

You need to fix the Boot Loader.

Boot your computer from a Windows 7 disk, click Repair Your Computer then when you reach System Recovery Options, choose Command Prompt.

Once in Command Prompt type:

Bootrec.exe

and press Enter.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Sorry, type this instead:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Just quickly ran through it and turned out my memory was slightly rusty!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I see you are still having problems with this.

When you cloned it, did you just clone C: or did you include the tiny 100Mb System Reserved boot mgr partition as well?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What program did you use to clone the drive? Easiest way is to physically install your old drive again and clone (percentage wise for all partitions) to the new Hard drive. If it fails again then think of a better program to clone. D@ve's suggestions are good but if the Cloning is bad you'll get further problems and not worth the effort, unless your original HDD had problems anyway. If it had then a clean install would be better on the new HDD. Put the old drive in a caddy and copy your docs, etc over once you're up and running.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just a thought, did you use a caddy (enclosure) to clone? If you cloned the original drive within the PC then you need to disconnect the old hard drive before booting up to the new one. If you used a usb caddy to clone, then I'd think of using another cloning software to do the job.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, theres a lot for me to digest here. I have 2 HDDs on this PC, one XP pro one Win 7 all up and working fine. I changed the Win 7 HDD to a bigger one, thought I had done it right but nothing works if I have this HDD attached. All works fine if I just plug my old one back instead. If I use the new HDD I cannot boot or even access the cd. D@ve, thanks for you input but I cannot access the cd to try it. Lotvic, not sure I did that, could be the answer, need to redo. rdave I used XX clone 30 day trial version not the freebie, I could not get the free version to copy the boot info although it should.

Thanks for your responses.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rdave13, I did it internally, can you suggest any other software?

Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's what I'd do. Remove the bigger HDD (win 7) and replace with original. Check both OSs boot. Put bigger drive in usb caddy and use xx clone 30 day trial (from 7 disk not XP disk) to clone it again. Swap hard drives again. See if it works. Seems the boot manager isn't being cloned. That software of yours sounds crap.

If more problems have a look here, click here. . Google for more information how to set up boot loaders in this program for different OSs.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

More confusion... sevenforums.com

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I said boot from DVD. This is completely independent of your hard drives.

Go into your BIOS and change the boot sequence so that it looks for bootable media in the DVD drive before it even looks at the hard drives. Then you'll be able to carry out the instructions from my previous post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days