We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems Opening New Windows in Browsers

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

I look after a website for the Priory Church of Bolton Abbey, where news items may link to a slideshow of photos. For example;-

http://www.enicholl.com/bolton-priory-church/newsitems2012.html#moffatfarewell

On the "News Page" there is a link to the slideshow, which opens in a new page. The HTML coding for this to happen uses "_blank".

The slideshow opens perfectly OK in Firefox. But selecting the link in either Chrome or IE Explorer results in either a blank window, or a window which contains text but no slideshow.

The slideshow works perfectly OK on its own in these browsers;- http://www.enicholl.com/bolton-priory-church/moffatfarewell.html

I am presuming that the inability to open up a new window containing the slideshow has something to do with blocking pop-ups. Any ideas how to get round this?

Or do I have to stop using "_blank" in the HTML coding? Or if I do use "_blank", at least let users know how to successfully open the link.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

The odd thing about this problem is that with some people's PCs there ISN'T a problem, but with others there IS! If only one was super-intelligent and could come to grips with it all!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Remembering I'm a numpty in this... I have a wisp of a clue to offer. Apparently on some pcs the picture (link) that has been converted from a jpg can point to a blank.gif instead of a .htm

www.help2go.com/forum-web-page-links-dont-work-interpreted-gif-files-instead-html-files.html

Many of the links were originally jpeg files that were converted to html files by Publisher. However, when trying reach the address that the link should be pointing to on the webpage, nothing happens when we left-click on it. If we right click on the link, the property for the link shows the path to the file, but it shows that the file is a gif file instead of a htm or html file. Another thing, the file name itself isn't correct. It's as though something is interpreting the path incorrectly

Also allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Internet-Explorer-Web-page-links-work.htm

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Another thing I noticed on the Home Page the News Item Pictures, the top one of George is the only 2012 news item that has a #moffatfarewell after the /newsitems2012.html none of the other pics have a #(name of picture)

But they all take you to the same page - News Items 2012

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...