We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Tablet for me?

melvyn

Likes # 0

Hi, I go abroad a lot - mainly USA/Spain and have a netbook which I take with me. The main uses of the netbook are for Sat Nav, e-mail and web surfing. I've never looked at tablets, but they seem more compact and easy to use, and I would value some help as to which ones may be good for me. On my netbook I rum Microsoft Streets and Trips (USA) and Autoroute (Europe) Thanks for any help. Mel

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A tablet will not run those programs unless they have an equivalent app. For sat-nav you will probably need a 3G version and then you have to be very careful about the roaming charges.

Like this post
melvyn

Likes # 0

Thanks for that - perhaps I should have been clearer in my question. I realise that I will not be running these hugh Microsoft products but will be using Apps. I really want to know whether there are any tablets that have suitable apps to use as a sat-nav system in the car, and obviously be able to e-mail/web surf as well. Using my current software means that I do not incur any roaming charges, which is something I would not want to do with a tablet either, the SatNav dongle lead is something I expect i would need with a tablet as well. Mel

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The snag with many of the map apps is that they do not store the maps on the tablet but download thus requiring 3G. The iPad requires 3G for GPS. Many tablets have GPS built in and therefore do not require a satnav dongle.

Have a search for some of the satnav apps eg TomTom and see their requirements.

Like this post
melvyn

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll stick with the netbook.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......