We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you recover files using Avira AntiVir Rescue System?

OliT

Likes # 0

Hi all, would appreciate some help on this if anyone knows please.

I'm using Avira's rescue system disk and use the command prompt to get through and see my files as my computer won't load up normally and give me access to them. I'm not sure how I select the path to my portable hard disk to copy the files over, any ideas? There seems to be an option to copy files and it asks what path you wish to copy to, but when I plug my portable hard disk in it won't come up as recognised automatically as it's not in windows and I'm unsure what file path it is on. How can I tell this and set it so it will copy my files over to the portable hard disk?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I answered on your other thread, but will repeat it here incase you didn't see it

To have ext HDD recognised, I think you have to already have the external HDD attached and powered up/ switched on (if it has a separate electric power pack 3 pin plug) before you boot up pc with the rescue disc. (I know I have to when using Acronis boot CD/DVD)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Best I can come up with, scroll down a bit for the commands, click here. You should boot from the disc with the drive already connected, as lotvic says.

Another way would be to put the damaged drive in a caddy and connect to a working PC to get the files off. The only problem with that is if it has a worm on it, it might infect the host PC if you try it that way. I suppose you can scan the drive before opening it but I wouldn't be happy doing it that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......