We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Viewsonic VP2030b monitor - Windows 7

Spock999

Likes # 0

I have an old VP2030b monitor that stopped working awhile ago. It was a good quality & expensive monitor but they seem to have been subject to capacitor problems in the power supply. The time has come to try to get it mended to use as a second monitor or chuck it.

There seems to have been a cottage industry supplying repair kits in the USA for this problem so it looks like its possible to repair it.

The other side of the coin is if it will work on my new Windows 7 computer if it is repaired. A quick look suggests that there are no Windows 7 drivers. Does anyone know whether the VP2030b can be made to work properly on a Windows 7 Home 64bit computer?

Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Drivers here for CRT and LCD, click here. I use my GPU control panel if I need to adjust anything.

Like this post
3sport

Likes # 0

Just found this browsing as my 6 year old Viwesonic VP2030b has just failed for what appears to be the same fault. Monitor has power and tries to start but fails although occasionally after many minutes of flickering on a black screen it will suddenley burst into life for a few minutes before returning to a black screen so I suspect its the capacitors on the main board.

Anyway I do the same things with it photo editing and have run it on a Windows 7 64bit since the OS became available its perfectly stable and compatible. I let windows find the initial suitable profile from the internet and then calibrated it with a Spyder3 device.

I too though am wondering whether to bother though with a repair kit or purchase a new suitable monitor ? Difference I guess is I work using 2 monitor setup and the VP2030b had been consigned to my secondary screen for tools and double checking images since I purchased a top quality 23" Dell screen which acts as my main desktop for Photoshop work. Be a shame though to lose the Viewsonic as it has been a top notch screen for colour work.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Well that is very helpful. I needed to know that someone had operated the vp2030b successfully under Windows 7 64 bit. From what you are saying you had it operating perfectly OK at its native resolution 1600 x 1200. There are a couple of possible solutions for the issue if you google "viewsonic vp2030b issues" but they didn't work for me. My other thread on this subject might also help (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/377757/viewsonic-vp2030b-monitor--slow-to-power-up/).

I bought an Eizo S2433w as my main monitor when the viewsonic started playing up and I have been very pleased with that. How did you get on with the Spyder 3. I have been looking to calibrate my monitor but had problems and I have just sent a colormunki display back to Amazon. There is some discussion about this on the photoanswers computer help forum (I tried to post a link but they decided I was spamming my own thread!!). The only alternative is the Spyder 4 (Pro seems best for me) and I am not sure whether I will be happy with it.

Like this post
3sport

Likes # 0

Yes ran at native res all OK. Spyder3 is fine providing you download the windows7 updates for it again no problems.

Ive decided rather than have hassle trying to repair im going to trash my vp2030b although I might try to sell it for spares or repair on e-bay as the screen is good but doubt I get much for it. Not sure what to get to replace it though ?

Cheers

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Yes I went through what shall I replace it with a couple of years or so ago. At the time there was nothing at about £400 which I felt comfortable buying, so I upped the budget to the next one which didn't seem to have any problems in the customer reviews. Hence the EizoS2433w. Of course that was as my main monitor and it is a step up from the VP2030b. It showed much more detail in the image while I was running them as dual monitors.

I have seen it said that the second monitor doesn't have to be calibrated or as good as the first so there is probably a lot more choice.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help. I have had the monitor repaired (£40 at a local repairer) - he had to replace virtually all of the capacitors. It set itself up OK on plug and play and operates at the native 1600 x 1200 resolution.

Have now calibrated it with Spyder 4 Pro and am very happy with the results.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

3sport I would say that the Inverter as blown, you need a new one or it repairing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?