We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Viewsonic VP2030b monitor - Windows 7

Spock999

Likes # 0

I have an old VP2030b monitor that stopped working awhile ago. It was a good quality & expensive monitor but they seem to have been subject to capacitor problems in the power supply. The time has come to try to get it mended to use as a second monitor or chuck it.

There seems to have been a cottage industry supplying repair kits in the USA for this problem so it looks like its possible to repair it.

The other side of the coin is if it will work on my new Windows 7 computer if it is repaired. A quick look suggests that there are no Windows 7 drivers. Does anyone know whether the VP2030b can be made to work properly on a Windows 7 Home 64bit computer?

Thanks.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Monitors do not require drivers. As long as your graphics card is outputting a suitable signal and they both use the same connection then the monitor will work, so don't worry about having any compatibility issues. Can't help you with regards to getting it repaired though, sorry.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

all hardware needs drivers monitors are not the exception, but i would say it will work if setup in windows display in control panel as a generic monitor

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS I take it this is a Crt Monitor, and you should be able to get it fixed in the UK as it is only like a TV without a Tuner

Take a Look Hear at a Google Page for Repairs [Click Hear to See ]1

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Click on the Underscore 1

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Actually it is not, see here (http://www.viewsonic.com/products/archive/vp2030b.htm ). There are quite a few instances of problems or unsatisfactory situations with Windows 7. See here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/viewsonic-monitor-changed-to-generic-nonpnp/28a4bbb9-552c-454b-bde8-4b67014b59c2). Unable to get the full native resolution. This is an example of the fixing kit that is available (http://lcdalternatives.com/Repair-Kit,-Viewsonic-VP2030b,-LCD-Monitor,-Capacitors-P1660478.aspx). And this is one example from one of the fix-it videos on Youtube ("Open the monitor, examine the circuit boards. Look for small components that look like small cans, these are capacitors. If you see any that look bulged on top, then your problem can probably be solved by replacing these. Check out the following sites; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q6_TgNJvQw). It doesn't fill me with confidence about doing it but illustrates it is possible.

Perhaps you can see why I am wondering whether it is worth repairing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What you have to be aware of when trying to mend Monitors or TV's is the Big smoothing capacitors or multiple high volts ones these can kill when power is turned off and plug removed from wall socket. they need to be discharged before you work one one

PS they are the ones on the power supply normally

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In many cases if a monitor is connected digitally it is not necessary to install anything. But it may be necessary to install the relevant inf file and for it to show up as other than a generic plug and play. See Intel graphics

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should have added it may not be worthwhile repairing it. My local paper contains many tft screens at very low prices. People are upgrading or going from desktop to laptop or all-in-one and are getting rid of their monitors which are still in good working order.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

I do a lot of photoeditting and I am very fussy about the monitor. This is a good quality one and I would have no hesitation repairing it if I could be sure that it would work with Windows 7. I have looked extensively on-line and haven't yet seen anyone who has one working satisfactorily with Windows 7. The trouble is that you only hear about the problems but it looks significant that none of the problems seem to have been resolved.

I have found someone who can repair it for £45. I have no intention of diying it. Hamfisted has nothing on me!! I will look into your link Woolwell. Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I fail to see why the monitor should not work with Windows 7 unless the inf file is required and is not fully compatible. Though I see the the VP2030B is not listed under Windows compatibility list.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks