We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unable to delete folder with corrupt files

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was using Acronis to copy one drive to another, after several minutes Acronis stopped with the message unable to copy drive, or words to that effect.

I now see that one folder was corrupted during this process, I'm now unable to delete this folder. I have since transfered all the folders bar this corrupt one, but every time I attempt to delete/copy this folder the pc freezes. Running W7.

Advice please on way to proceed.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

hssutton,

You could try pressing the Shift key when trying to delete the folder. This can work as it stops Windows putting the folder into the Recycle Bin.

Peter.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Unable to try your suggestion as when I tried to open the drive in question my pc froze. Unable to restart with that drive connected. Will attempt to delete by connecting the drive via USB

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

If you still have no success then try formatting the drive (I assume you have no data on there that isn't already on your PC's main hard drive?)

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Connecting the drive via USB allowed me to uninstall the offending file. So all is ok now.

many thanks.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite