We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installed new internal hard drive

mctrout

Likes # 0

I just installed a new WD SATA hard drive. I switched the PC on but the Hard Drive does not show up. I used The existing SATA lead & left the original hard drive with the connection SATA 3 & used the 2nd connection SATA 2 for the new hard drive. The PC then had some updates to install but I got a message saying updates failed. I must have done something wrong, but I followed what the installation instructions said. I know very little about a pc when there is a problem so can anyone please help me out. Thanks Mac

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Right click My Computer then Manage a box will open, click on Disk Management and see if your new hard-drive is shown there. If so right click anywhere within the new harddrive box and click on format. Hopefully that should sort it.

Like this post
mctrout

Likes # 0

I made a mistake by putting SATA lead for the new Hard Drive in the 3 SATA slot Instead of the 2nd one. But thanks for the Disk Management tip as I did not have a clue how to format the hard drive. Thanks Mac

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It really should not matter if you had connected the Data cable to the 3 slot as opposed to the 2 slot as it is backwards compatible, but as long as you are sorted,that is the main thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features