We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Line in cable from DAB radio to headphone socket?

Happy37

Likes # 0

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to attach/run a 3.5mm jack extension cable from the “headphone out” socket of a portable DAB radio and connect it to the “headphone in” socket of an analogue Sony radio cassette recorder so that I can hear the DAB radio sounds through the speakers or not?

If this cannot be done, apart from buying a new portable DAB radio, please also advise as to how it can be done using the cable method above.

Thanks.

Regards

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Sorry but I don't understand the question - why would there be a "headphone in" socket? Headphones are output devices and not input devices. There could be a microphone in socket on your Sony radio cassette and you could use that but the difference in levels might give you distortion as headphone signal levels are much higher than microphone levels. And even then I am not sure you could directly hear the output without recording it to tape first.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

As said you get a usb sound card from amazon only a couple of quid the one linked is the deare but most much lessusb sound card

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

Hi chub_tor

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry if my initial post wasn't clear.

I have got a Pure PocketDAB 1500 radio. This has got a headphone socket on it so that a pair of headphones can be connected.

I would like to attach a line-in cable from that socket and connect the other end of this to the headphone socket on the cassette player.

The cassette player does not have a microphone socket - it's built in, as far as I can remember.

All I want to do is to listen to the DAB radio through the speakers and nothing else.

Does this help/is this explanation any clearer?

Thanks again.

Regards

Happy37

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Silly me and sound cards I missed you wanting to connect to cassette plyer thinking pc no you cant the headphone socket on the player is an output only are you sure there are no other sockets ?

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

Hi eedcam

As far as I'm aware, there are no other sockets on the Sony radio/cassette player.

I was really hoping to use the Sony cassette player and the DAB radio in this setup, but let's see.

Please advise accordingly.

Thanks again.

Regards

Happy37

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Headphone sockets are out only. Unless I am misunderstanding you want to connect the headphone socket on the Pure to the headphone socket on the Sony. Out to Out doesn't work. You will need an in-socket on the system from which you want to hear.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The answer to your question is 'no' but you could use a set of computer speakers with built in amplifier if you have any going spare.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...