We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Mail excessive junk mail can't stop it

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am suddenly receiving about fourteen or more junk mails seeming to come from different sites, every day and sometimes twice a day. All of these I laboriously put into "Blocked senders list" or "Blocked domain list" and both.

But they still come in , diverted to Junk list which I then have to search just in case a legitimate email slipped through..

If it's in the blocked list why do i get them at all, why aren't they filtered out before.

I can't get any sense out of Windows Help, do you think I should contact my ISP.

I would like to bounce them back to the sender but don't know how.

I'd like to know what triggered all these spurious e-mails about "Your recent accident" and clear your debts, when neither is appropriate, and even from jobseekers which I am not.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

it might be handy to try mailwasher which should give some help?

johnny

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

email address has got onto Spammers list. They spoof the sender address mostly so blocking domain that it appears to have come from doesn't do any good really.

How to filter them depends on how good the Webmail site is for that email address. What is the part of the email after the @ ? is it your ISP (like @talktalk.net? Some webmail has an option to report Spam then they analyse it (find the real sender route) and block them from coming through.

Then can have a look at how to filter them on the mail server by using key words in the text of emails. That will help to some extent, but spam is a problem for all, hopefully yours will die down after a while as is the usual pattern.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just keep deleting them without opening. Will take a little bit of time but they'll fade away eventually. Better than bouncing or opening them 'just in case'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't Bounce them. It just tells spammer that the email address is 'live' and you will get even more.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Windows Live Mail, to the right of 'Junk Mail' simply click the X when you click on the folder. At least you can see the titles of the email if anything is important. Sometimes one gets through but very rarely. Today I believe something like Email Washer is totally useless as its main function is to bounce. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I used Mailwasher for about a year when my then ISP was particularly bad at filtering spam and it was an excellent way of viewing emails before downloading them onto my PC. Bouncing spam is not activated by default and you do not have to enter the SMTP data to activate it when you are setting it up. lotvic is correct that you need to check where your mail is coming from, if you are using webmail such as Hotmail, Gmail, YahooMail then Mailwasher won't help very much.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone for their advice. My e-mail is exactly as lotvic describes, ends in talktalk.net so I'll get onto them if it gets worse, but as you all have said it tails off after a while, I only had five this morning but I still methodically put them on blocked lists (both) and delete without opening.

I then empty "Deleted files" as well and empty recycle bin. Don't know if that gets them off my disc completely.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback