We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spam attack on PCA forums

simonjary

Likes # 0

As you can see some nasty spamming army has targeted the PC Advisor forums.

We'll raise our anti-spam filters again, and, as soon as we can, clear this rubbish off the forums.

Until then, please post as normal and we ask for your patience as we combat this menace.

Thanks,

Simon Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

simonjary , your efforts are appreciated by us all no doubt. Thanks.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

I am not sure if this example is either a 'bad spam attack' or an ad-ware hi-jack of my browser:

on forums such as this I will get certain highlighted words and if you hover over them you will get details of adverts.

If indeed it is ad/spy ware, then how can I get rid of it. I am already using Avast and Spybot search & destroy.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

BTW it is not only on forums, but on just about any bit of text on a web-page. Certain words will stand out as links. The usually appear with a differentr colour from the rest of the text and under-lined.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean of 'your browser', possibly you site you mean?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly asking your query in the Web Design Help forum would be better.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

mcheathen, Those are in-text ads, not anything suspicious. You'll find them on many websites.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

But on occasions you are catching legitimate posts. Last night I tried to respond to my own thread but I am told it is spam. I have been trying to deal with a problem for a while and when I get a useful answer I cannot respond.

Not having seen the spam I don't know your criteria for classifying somethging as spam. It would be helpful to know.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Spock999

If I told you what the criteria are I would be telling the spammers too, so I'm not able to do that.

What I can say is that your post is more likely to fail if it contains a link to another site. Other than that I can't be of further help. We'll gradually lower the shields as the risk appears to subside.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I don't how this forum is moderated but one answer might be to keep new members under moderation (such that their post needs approval) until they have made a set number of postings (at which point they are released).

Potential spammers are usually easy to spot by their one or two word replies.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mooly

I wish it was that simple.

We get lots of registrations every day. Not all of them are from people who want to post - thousands of them don't need to register at all, because they just browse the site and read the forum threads. We have no way of knowing who will post and who won't, and it just wouldn't be possible to monitor all of them.

We don't have the resources to run a monitoring system on posts from new users, it would delay posts going live on the forums, and defeat the whole purpose of having forums that can run more or less in real time.

We pick up spammers pretty quickly, and routinely delete their posts; it's worked well for a long time. The real problem arises when we get large numbers of posts in rapid succession from several sources - that's an orchestrated spam attack, and the only defence against it is some pretty strong filtering. We have that system in place pretty quickly when an attack starts, but unfortunately it catches a few genuine posts in the net as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide