We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Sky slow Router issues?

awest3

Likes # 0

Heres an interesting one. I'm with SKy for my broadband getting approx 3 meg download speeds. As I was havin a few issues with the wifi connection speeds I decide to go with a new Sky N router (Sagemcom F@ast 2504n) which supposedly gives better wifi coverage etc. I duly connected it up and then checked my broadband speeds, they had dropped to 1.5 meg. Thinking I had a duff router I borrowed another from a friend. Same result, and no better wifi coverage. I put the old router back and got 3meg straight away. I checked all my settings on the new router to make sure they were the same (where possible) as the old netgear 934GT. Still the same. I rang Sky and got a guy who bent over backwards to help (3 hours on the phone( I get free calls to customer service)). He checked with both routers and each time when the new router was connected the speeds dropped to 1.5meg. I went through the routine of connecting directly to the test socket of the master socket etc etc. The escalation team would not accept the call until this was done..same result each time (even less speed when in the master socket?). After all this the escalation team would still not accept it because, even though I've been getting 3meg for the last 8 years it was over what the line was supposedly capable of.. 2meg and 1.5 at the router.

So I suppose what my question is is what could be causing the speeds to drop by half when a the new router is connected?

Sky do not seem to know or want to investigate, although the guy to whom I was talking is going to put in a complaint on my behalf.

I now have the old router back in place and I'm back to getting 3 meg.

Any theories gratefully accepted..just before this new router goes in the bin.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Sky rang back today and spent some time with me to try to rectify the issue. They have not seen this issue before so are scratching their heads somewhat. They admit to be clutching at straws but have asked me to update the firmware on the router. They are sending me a disc to do this automatically. I'll report back on Friday.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Sky rang back today and spent some time with me to try to rectify the issue. They have not seen this issue before so are scratching their heads somewhat. They admit to be clutching at straws but have asked me to update the firmware on the router. They are sending me a disc to do this automatically. I'll report back on Friday.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)