We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cross Over to Patch Panel?

CrazyTalk

Likes # 0

Hi,

Am running Cat6 cable to my cellar. I plan to run a face plate in the walls of all rooms where there will be an ethernet connection. Originally when I did this in a previous house I wired two rooms together i.e. a face plate in one room and the other end a face plate. I did a cross over cable for this so when connecting anything at the other end it would talk to the device in the other room i.e. room A NAS straight through to face plate, room B PS3 straight through to face plate for example.

However as I will be connecting multiple rooms together in to a patch panel then switch / router how will this then work? For all rooms where there is face plate do I crossover all cable to the patch panel or straight through? If straight through to the patch are my patch leads then cross overs to the switch? A little lost on this one

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Can you not just simplify the whole process by doing it wirelessly?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If wireless isn't feasible, why don't you use "straight" wired cables as you would in a router-to-computer connection? If you need to connect two computers, or similar devices, directly via the face plates, connect one of them with a "crossover" cable. Modern computers etc may have auto-sensing ports in which case the cable configuration won't matter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad