We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updates at the wrong moment while busy

immer

Likes # 0

Of late my PC is slow booting and I think the problem is things that want to update on startup. Norton is one, Adobe, Java and others. Sometimes the PC wont go properly at all till its rebooted just as I need to be doing my emails. I know I should know how to fix this but I've forgotten. Can you help please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Configure Norton not to update at start up.[Not sure how to do that as I don't use Norton.]

Go into msconfig and untick java and flash as you do not need them to run at start up.

Stop windows updates from running automatically and just run the updates manually on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just checked my Eset for start up scans and did not find any way of stopping it at start up.

It only scans files at start up and does not do a full system scan I do that manually.

So not sure about Norton.

If using W/7 just type msconfig into the start box and then click on it when it shows.if XP it goes in the run box.

You want to go into start box when you get it open and see how many programs you have running at start up.See what ones that are not needed to run and untick them.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

In Norton..>settings...>untick liveupdate...on right hand side.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

You could also delay start-up on some programs.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have CCleaner or any other 'tweaking' programs on your computer, check to see if they have a 'Start-Up' part to the program. You can then perhaps disable some items from the start-up list.

If you are having general slow issues, then perhaps a little maintenance on the computer is needed?.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

CCleaner does have a start-up option under the tools menu

Like this post
immer

Likes # 0

Thanks one & all !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...