We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

11 year old apple mac tower is it worth buying

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

11 year old apple mac tower is it worth buying.Not sure what model but son in law was offered it for £40 without a hard drive.

I know they are good but are they any good after 11 years.I have my doubts.

Not knowing anything about them or what it would cost for a hard drive I do not know what advice to give him.

It says ethernet on the back next to the serial number and that is about all the Information that I have.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Know nothing of Apple. 11 years old electronic machine, without the drive, I would not entertain. If it was given away then I might have a look. Possibly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

I was thinking the same thing myself.

I did say to him it probably would not be worth it.Especially with the hard drive missing.

I did say to get the model number so that we could check just old it was.I did not think ethernet connections were out that long ago.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

It could be a Power Mac G4 ,click here for some details.

If the CPU is 867 Mhz or above & with 256MB RAM (PC100 SDR) or more(preferably 512MB), you can install OSX 10.5 Leopard on an IDE hdd up to 128GB.

If the Mac is in good working order, you can get some cheap used hardwares from auction site & it may be a good workhorse for some years to come but please take the price of a Mac OS into consideration, the cheaper upgrade price of Mountain Lion won't install though.

I did not think ethernet connections were out that long ago.

You'd be surprised that Ethernet was invented a long time ago.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Ethernet has been around since 1973

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

retep888™

If my memory is correct it did look a bit like that.Whether it is that one I am not sure but he has a photo of it on his phone.

It was an insurance write off and the hard drive has to go back to the owner and as far as I know it has been tested and it is supposed to work Ok.

But as I know nothing about them and he doesn't either it could well be a waste of money and time.

[Ethernet has been around since 1973] I am sure my old computer never had an ethernet connection on it and that was only about 7 years old.

That's why I assumed that it was fairly new to computers.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok the chances of him buying it now are on the slim side although he may change his mind.

I suppose I could have got it but not sure if it would have ended up being an expensive toy and I really have no need for it.

So will class as resolved unless someone can come up and say it could be a good investment.

If I get any updates in the model number I will let you know.

Thanks for all of the information so far.

Like this post  
iscanut2

Likes # 0

You have saved wasting £40 !!

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I am sure my old computer never had an ethernet connection on it and that was only about 7 years old.

Years ago when most people were just offered a USB Broadband modem, not every motherboard came with ethernet port as standard particularly those prebuilt PCs on the shelves so as to shave a few pennies off the building cost.

but not sure if it would have ended up being an expensive toy and I really have no need for it.

You have a point there unless you've some spare cash to be used as well as you've the intention/interest/time to learn something new, you could be wasting more than just £40 because there are HDD & OS plus possibly some hardwares to be upgraded.(unless the owner still got the OS X 10.4 Tiger disk you can have for free to start with)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

retep888™

He has no contact with the owner.But probably knows someone who does.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data