We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change of provider BT to Sky email address query

dugit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just moved from BT to Sky as provider and have received this from BT stopping the service : "So that you can still send and receive emails using your BT email address, we'll downgrade your account to our Pay-as-you-go dial-up service. Your email address stays the same. This service is subject to the standard terms and conditions at bt.yahoo.com/terms" Does this mean that I will have to pay BT for my email address which was xxx@btinternet.com if I use it or receive internet emails ?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Yes. Email addresses cost money to provide and use so if you want to continue to use it after you switch then why should you not pay for it. The easy way is to register a domain name then you get several addresses and you can get them by web-mail or an email client and if you wish you can make your own website. As they are not tied to your broadband prrovider you can change as often as you like.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I think you will find that wiz-king is wrong. You will be able to continue using your btinternet.com email address free by simply using your exsisting logon at the Yahoo Mail website. I have a btinternet email address from many years ago that I still use despite changing ISP several times.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I am also with BT and don't like Web Based Mail. I use Mailwasher and Windows Mail to Logon to my various email accounts. If I were to change ISP would I still be able to use The BT Yahoo Mail addresses as now.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I can confirm you will be able to use your BT e-mail address without paying. PAYG - pay as you go - is a throwback to the early days of dial up connections.

Like this post
dugit

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the replies, my question answered dugit

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made