We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to change programme which opens file

alfredgerald
Resolved

Likes # 0

Running Microsoft XP with 4 users on PC. Having trouble changing the programme which opens a file. (e.g. Notepad to Word). 3 of the users work fine. Have been into Control Panel/Folder options/File type but the option to change how all the files are opened is greyed out. Any thoughts please.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you right-click on the file, do you not get the option to Open with ? so that you can then choose which program to open it.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

alfredgerald, I think you will need admin rights to change the progam.

Like this post
alfredgerald

Likes # 0

I have admin rights. The files that I am trying to open have been received in an e-mail. They have the .docx extension. No option to Open With on right mouse button. The file try’s to open in Notepad. When I go to File type to change it all the file types are greyed out. Only in this user, other 3 users OK.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 1

Try doing a Save as then you should be able to change the prefix to .doc or similar.

Like this post  
alfredgerald

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek. It worked. But I still cant change File type in the Control Panel. Still greyed out. Any other thoughts

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great, glad it worked - unless you intend to make many prefix changes, I would not bother about the Ctrl Panel.

Though I suppose you could try something like CHECKDISK

Like this post
alfredgerald

Likes # 0

OK Nontek. I think I will continue this thread as I am interested as to why it works on three users but not the forth. Anybody else got an idea?

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

As you probably know .docx is word 2007 or later format so you need a compatibility pack installed if you have an older version. As you were able to select open with on 3 users it is possible that this was installed for each user instead of for all users?

Open with being greyed it usually means windows cannot select a suitable program to use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer