We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error message in Excel

ponytail

Likes # 0

This is about a post with ref to a post I posted on April 28th titled Excel. While I am working on a spread sheet which is a running account of my bank statementI keep getting the following message. I click on say cell E367 then = then cell E366 then - then cell B367 then the equals tick. The message that follows is a orange coloured square with a diamond shape inside containing a ! and the message I get when I hover the cursor over it is,

• Tags:
  • t
Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

This is about a post with ref to a post I posted on April 28th titled Excel. While I am working on a spread sheet which is a running account of my bank statementI keep getting the following message. I click on say cell E367 then = then cell E366 then - then cell B367 then the equals tick. The message that follows is a orange coloured square with a diamond shape inside containing a ! and the message I get when I hover the cursor over it is The formula in this cell refers to a range that has additional numbers adjacent to it.

Not sure what just happened as I was in the middle of typing this post and it looked as though it had been sent without me sending it if it did it will only be half the post if so please ignore the first one.Hope someone can help sorry it is so long.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is probably telling you that the adjacent cells have numbers in too which you haven't included in a sum.

You can turn off error checking but need to know which version of Excel.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell,I am using Excel 2007

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

To turn off error checking - then go to MS orb top left - then Excel Options and then on formulas you can uncheck what you do not require. I am not sure in this case but you could try Formulas which omit cells in a region.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Again Woolwell, Have done what you suggested and will try to do some work on the spread sheet tomorrow.Will put the results on here.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell Have done some transactions this morning and so far that message has not appeared so hopefully itis sorted.Thanks for the advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback