We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What do I lose by "downgrading" from Vista to XP ?

Heefie

Likes # 0

This is a serious question ... I am not worried about data loss, I have my OS separate from all my Data disks, but Vista just seems to have "hiccups" that I never had with XP (albeit only recently).

I am currently having some issues that are making me think about a re-install, and am wondering if I re-install XP rather than Vista, what, functionally & technologically, do I actually lose ?!?

My PC is hand built by myself many, many years ago and has had a myriad of upgrades over the years, it's a bit like Trigger's broom !!!

I'm not looking to go upwards & onwards to Windows 7 or 8, I just want this to be stable & do what I want it to do ... which it currently is not doing !!!

The basic Spec is that it's an Athlon processor 64GP 3000+ (I think), 2Gb Memory and an ASUS A8v Deluxe MB ...

Thanks in advance for any advice ...

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You will be better on XP

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As woodchip, your technology is old, revert to an older OS and you will benefit from it. XP will still be supported until 2014 if memory serves me well.

Like this post
Heefie

Likes # 0

I agree, although I have been running Vista on this machine with barely a problem for about 4 years, I am a little pissed off at the moment with it having a right fit about which drive it should boot from and how slowly can it possibly play videos & games !!!

Yes, I know there's a lot more to it than I have outlined above, but before I actually do it ... what functionality do I lose ?!?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Functionality do you lose? In my experience it is none. Vista was a trial for 7 in my humble opinion. The difference between Vista and 7 is enormous in the day to day usage. Difference between XP and Vista was a step but your hardware is coping at the limit in my humble opinion. Having said that, I'm wondering if your hard drive is struggling as Vista hammers them.

Install SpeedFan and select S.M.A.R.T. tab once it loads all information required. Select your hard drive in the down arrow selection. Next select the Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk

If that shows a poor output of your drive then that is the problem. Get your drive cloned as soon as possible.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Windows XP will be supported for anther 19 months or so. Support will cease in April 2014. After that date there will be no further Windows updates or security fixes, and although XP will continue working you really should begin th think about moving to Windows7, which is extremely stable.

Like this post
Heefie

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies & help, I'm up & running using XP and everything seems to be smooth as I could hope ... I will test my drives over the next few days & if I ever get another job, Editor, I will buy a new, decent, fast PC !!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...