We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista full system restore

gidster

Likes # 0

hi im trying to take make laptop back to its original state.ive got two acer restore disks that i had to make but i cant seem to get it to work.

my laptop is a acer travelmate 5720

ive done it once but have completely forgot what i did,think it was about a year ago.

thankyou.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You'll need to boot from the DVD number 1 disk if you have only two. Start the laptop then insert the first DVD. (usually bios is set to boot from the DVD drive). Shut down the laptop via the power button. Start again via the power button and you should see ' press any key to boot from CD',then press a key and it should start booting from the recovery DVD disc.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try my computer and see if you have a recovery partition on it next to C drive.

It will probably be about 30Gb if so that would be your recovery partition and you would just need to press F11 or F10 at start up to get into it.

best to check and see if there is a recovery on it and then ask which buttons to press at start up to get into it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

eRECOVERY?

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit
Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think you have to press Alt and F10 as the computer starts to get into recovery.

Anything seriously wrong with it that you have to get it back to factory settings.

I only asked as my daughter had an acer just over 14 month old and it was the hard drive that went on that which made it nearly impossible to restore it.

If using DVD's or Cd's you will probably have to go into the bios and change the Boot up to CD as number 1.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok Fruit Bat /\0/\ beat me to it.That's what you do if you have a recovery partition on it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Best to hold the ALT key but keep tapping the F10 key as it's booting. I've missed it a few times then you need to start again. Booting from the recovery discs is as my previous post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...