We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express 6 problems

weejohn28

Likes # 0

I am using windows xp and outlook express 6. Something has gone wrong with the outlook express and I wonder if I should UNINSTALL it and then download it from the internet.
Before doing this I should like to know if the EMAILS which are presently on the computer would be untouched and remain where they are. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thank you very much. Weejohn.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Outlook Express is a component of Windows XP. What is wrong with OE?

Like this post
weejohn28

Likes # 0

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was trying to assist a friend who unfortunately is away at the moment but from memory it was the TOOL BAR and MENU BAR which were corrupted, the MENU BAR looked something like this;

File Edit[*] Create Mail

In order to bring up the Folders list on the left hand side of the list of Emails she had to click the ASTERICK in the Edit.

This is why I wondered if it would be easier to uninstall the programme and then reinstall, the thing is she has lots of Emails which she has never erased(she did not know how)and although I explained how to do this quickly she wants to save some of them, prior to erasing. Weejohn

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's long time since I used Outlook Express. I think that she may have inadvertently customised the menu bar. Better wait for someone with more recent experience of OE to reply.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Post back when you know for definite what she has displayed at top of OE.

You could try rightclick on the bar that contains: File, Edit, View, Tools, Message, Help, and tick 'Toolbar'

Then rightclick in that toolbar and click on 'Customize' and add the buttons she wants quick access to.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

http://www.insideoe.com/sitemap.htm will tell you all about OE.

In Windows XP, the Outlook Express user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under, Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain The emails default Store Folder is usually in

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

or sometimes in C:\Windows\Application Data\Outlook Express{GUID} (GUID is a long string of numbers and letters)

You can check where it is kept in OE | Tools | Options | Maintenance tab | and click on the 'Store Folder' button

This is just one way (there are other ways) to make a backup copy of the emails: Once you have located the Store Folder, Copy the Outlook Express folder to another Folder in 'My Documents' (make a new folder with any name you want, to put it in to) You make a copy of the Outlook Express folder that contains the the individual .dbx files. So it will look like this 'My Docs', 'New Folder', Outlook Express

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more