We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC will not boot most of the time

Harry

Likes # 0

When I press the start button, the lights (switch and logo)and fans are working continually, the DVD drive light flashes for 2 seconds, the LED for the system lights up for about 3-5 seconds and then fails to go any further (no flashing lights). The fans work continuously. It just doesnt go to the boot process.

After I have switched on and off many times then sometimes the system boots up and it would work. Once switched off, I have to go through the same process. When the system works, it works flawlessly without any problems whatsoever.

I have changed the bios battery, tried to update the bios but I had the latest version, removed the cables to DVD and the hard drives. removed the 2 memory sticks and tried them with various combinations. checked for viruses.

The motherboard is 18months old.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Like this post
Harry

Likes # 0

Just to mention that I also removed the the Graphic card, cleaned it and placed it back. Didnt make any difference.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Could be a Faulty PSU

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Would probably agree with woodchip maybe a faulty PSU.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

+1 for dodgy PSU.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mind you [ When the system works, it works flawlessly]So maybe some other problem.

Do you hear any bleeps at all as it tries to start.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

+1 for dodgy PSU.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

That's a new one! Double posts that are split.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Unplug any USB externals like hard drives card readers or any other device that have internal memory storage space including USB printers with built in memory card readers try booting if it works and repeats for a few cycles try replacing them singly

In my experience ATA switch mode power supply faults usually come with a bang and a puff of acrid smoke

Cheers HC

Like this post
Harry

Likes # 0

Jock1e: Do you hear any bleeps at all as it tries to start.

I never heard any bleeps in the past or now. I think maybe the connector for the bleeps on the motherboard is not connected.

Like this post
Harry

Likes # 0

I also unplugged all 3 USB connectors but didnt work.

I also reset bios settings to factory defaults. No luck so far.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today