We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WORD PRESS VS JOOMLA -

becster99

Likes # 0

after many hours trying to decide which is the best option for creating a website for my fairy light business i think i've narrowed it down to wordpress and joomla. Does anyone have any advice about which is the most user friendly, economical and effective option for my small business. I'm looking to sell my product, rather than create a blog about it. Also i'm somewhat confused about the difference between wordpress.org and wordpress.com. any advice welcomed - thanks!

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

I inherited a Wordpress based site a few years ago and rebuilt it when I couldn't make any sense of it.

Coincidentally, I've taken the same path with Joomla a few times. Not a tool for the inexperienced and as you said, there are better ideas than Wordpress + plugin for ecommerce. A few in the other thread in case they help.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You haven't explained clearly want you want to do. You've said, "I'm looking to sell my product", but what does that mean? Do you want a fully fledged on-line store, or are you simply looking for essentially an on-line showroom for your product that brings enquiries to you?

Until you explain clearly what your objectives are, accurate advice is going to be pretty impossible.

As others have said, Wordpress is fundamentally a bog platform. While you can (and I have) produced websites on Wordpress, it's far from ideal and extremely limited without an awful lot of work, to do anything with. Frankly, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Joomla I've never worked with, but am investigating at present for a possible future project. Research has shown many Estate Agents use is as their preferred platform, which suggests it's more suited to on-line stores than Wordpress.

However, I prefer OpenCart for ecommerce, as it's relatively lightweight and works well.

All three require a database backend.

If you simply want a "showroom" website, all three are a seriously large overkill, and there are far more simple methods to provide one.

So the morel of this post is, sit down and decide first exactly what your objectives are, both for now and into the future. Once you have those firmly in mind, it's far easier to determine the best way to produce it.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It's a times like this an on-line editor would be worth its weight in gold ;-)

But yes, I too know the feeling!

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

Joomla is a lot more advanced than Wordpress, its that simple, Wordpress is great for blogs but if you want to extend the site into something more like ecommerce etc, than Joomla is the perfect choice

Like this post
konetkar500

Likes # 0

I think wordpress is more comfortable then joomla as anyone can customize it as per their need so i must recommend wordpress

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

and another Click here..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers