We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hardware identities

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

I have just installed a new OS and I find my Hardware alphabetic identities have changed. How can I reset the identities?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can you explain a little more as I am confused?

Are you talking about hard-drives/optical drives or what?

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Chronus, I'm referring to all drives:- HDD, CDROM and additionally, USB slots.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As we are having to guess which OS you have changed to I am going to go with Windows 7 though why you feel that it is necessary to change drive letter assignments escapes me and I would be very interested in learning your reason.

Here are some instructions.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Hi, Chronus, Thank you for the advice. The reason I wanted to correct - nit just chane - the drive letters is because, having installed XP SP3 the drive letters have a slight error (I have 2 drive L's and My Computer is showing drive letters which conflict with my Roxio.} I am hoping that carruing out your advice will rectify this anomaly. Thanks again.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So you did not install a new OS but just installed SP3 for XP and for some reason the service pack has altered the drive letter assignment. See how all is revealed when one has a little bit of info?

Much the same as Win 7 instructions.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look at this thread. If you download the recommended Partition Manager, it makes it easy to change drive or partition letters.

Easeus

This is a limited time offer BTW

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Chronus and John Bunyan, Thank you for your advice. The drive letters have corrected, just changed but no duplication. I can live with that! I;m having one or two problems at the moment. My Device manager tells me I have a problem with SM Controller. I have tried to download drivers but it won;t do it. Windows(when I shut down and left it) came up with a blue screen and a loaf of stuff saying that Windows had to shut down because of a problem with my PC. I had to hit the PC power off button because I couldn't do anything with the screen. I know I should really start a new thread for this - however!?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is this what you are seeing if you go to device manager?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015