We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieval of lost mails, any ideas?

rolli

Likes # 0

I use Outlook on Windows XP Pro with all the updates. For quite some time the send/receive button has not worked. I decided to return the program to makers spec.Now I have no saved e-mails or folder extensions on the inbox.I had to remake a new e-mail account also. Is the information still on the hard disc, and if it is, how do I retrieve it?(and put it back in the relevant boxes!)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Is the information still on the hard disc

Yes they are normally found in your PST file

PST stands for "Personal STore" - as in your personal mail storage. PST files are really fairly complex databases that contain your mail, your calendar, your contacts and even more, when you use Microsoft Office's Outlook mail program.

The default location under Windows XP is typically a location underneath "\Documents And Settings\username", where "username" is your Windows login account name.

Like this post
rolli

Likes # 0

Thank you for your post, but not quite sure what you mean by 'underneath'? I am a novice in these things and I am not even sure of my windows log in account name. Could you elaborate please, thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote