We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do I see HP_Administrator on start up

DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi All Just recently when my PC is booting up at the Welcome screen the screen is divided in half on the left it says Welcome and on the right it says HP_Administrator I have to click this before it carries on to the desk top,how can I bypass this please,I am on Windows XP sp3. Thanks for any help, Regards Dakar

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"can I retreive my emails at all"

If you use an e-mail client such as Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail and your original user folder is intact, then yes, we should be able to import all your e-mails.

If instead you manage your e-mails via a web page then they'll still be on the server so just login like before to access them.

I'll be around again in the morning.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Dakar, I've had another idea. If you find your HP_Administrator folder is still there and all its sub-folders and files appear to be present then an XP System Restore will hopefully reverse the deletion of that user profile.

If you don't know where to find System Restore then click the Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. Pick a date on the calendar that immediately pre-dates this problem then start the restore running. If on reboot you find it hasn't worked or gives unexpected results then go back in to System Restore and you'll find an option to undo it.

I've a horrid feeling though that deleting your profile has also taken all your personal data with it. I do hope that's not the case.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I've a horrid feeling though that deleting your profile has also taken all your personal data with it"

I should have said yesterday that if you find that's the case then there are undelete programs that can be run to recover lost files and folders. However for best results they need to be run ASAP after the incident has occurred so reply as soon as you can for further instructions.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi Secret squirrell,Good morning I have been into C drive and checked in HP_Administrator no documents. I have managed to set up a new email account in Outlook Express and got the emails working but seem to have lost my folders,can I find them anywhere or are they gone as well? I am really grateful for your help,should I think of anything else I will post in the next day or so and then perhaps tick resolved Thanks again and if you think of anything please post it as I will be looking at the posts regularly for the next few days. Thanks again Kindest regards Dakar

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi again Secret Squirrell I am still getting the original start up screen,split in half I get welcome one side and on the other my new User account and HP_Administrator I now click my new user account and the PC goes on to display the desktop, Any idea how I can stop this screen displaying. regards Dakar

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" I have been into C drive and checked in HP_Administrator no documents."

Just in case your personal data is hiding somewhere else, have another look in the Documents & Settings folder for any other user-folders that look like they may be belong to you.

If that doesn't help then here's a link for Recuva which is an excellent and free undelete utility. Choose the **Recuva - Slim Installer, no toolbar** download at the bottom.

Recuva is quite user friendly so you should be fine. A couple of important tips though. When Recuva has finished scanning, click the "Options" button top-right, click the "Actions" tab and tick "Restore folder structure". If you don't then you could end up with thousands of files in the same folder and it'll be a right mess.

Most important of all, you should not restore the files to the C: drive as you run the risk of overwriting files that are waiting to be restored so use an external hard drive or USB memory stick. After they've been restored you can then safely copy them across to your C: drive.

We can sort out the issue with two users on the Welcome Screen later.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thanks again Secret Squirrell, You are star, I will give that a go this evening. Regards Dakar

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi Secret Squirrell This seems like a silly question but as I am navigating new terrotory here I dont want to dig myself in a deeper hole,but I cannot see a way of selecting either the USB memory stick or external hard drive to restore the files to,I have gone as far as selecting, from the actions tab "Restore folder structure" and before I select Restore I need to select an alternative drive,but how? Thanks for your help Dakar

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"and before I select Restore I need to select an alternative drive,but how?"

When you've selected all the files you want to restore, click the "Recover" button bottom-right of the Recuva window. A "Browse for Folder" dialogue box will open and that's where you select the destination for the recovered files. Once it's selected, click the OK button and the recovery process will start.

Good luck :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen