We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dongle ISP drop out?

PC840

Likes # 0

Did anybody have trouble with their dongle ISP dropping out during last nights football? Although I wasn't watching the football mine was constantly dropping out, no doubt the traffic caused it, because today it's OK!

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

And the same happened when they put the Hillsborough documents on line. So are the networks becoming overloaded?

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

I wonder if I've sorted the problem! To get better reception I place the dongle high up on a wall unit. And I went to move it, it felt like a red hot coal! So I placed back in the computer USB and it cooled down, to be warm to the touch. And since the ISP has not dropped out!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PC840 , sorry I can't help as I don't use these dongles for internet. Seems as the extension cable you used is faulty. Luckily the dongle didn't burn out.

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

'the extension cable you used is faulty' I don't know, but there is better air flow now!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

PC840,

Sorry to trouble you but I have asked elsewhere with no reply, and as you have a dongle I hope you may be able to answer my query.

I had thought that ALL dongles received their transmissions through a satellite and were independent of ground networks. Because my wife and I are going on a couple of holidays abroad using a PAYG dongle would obviate the need to use a local network, and would be much better being independent of them. But I can not find a satellite PAYG dongle, and was wondering if you know of such a beast.

Any information or advice would be very welcome.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Housten - dongles are like mobile phones and pick up their signals from mobile phone masts which is why then can lose connection in areas of poor coverage.

If you are going abroad then be very careful of the data charges which can be very high indeed.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

Thank you for your reply. Being brain dead I had thought that where there was no signal a dongle would cover your broad band use. This merely proves that a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing!! You see our first holiday is on a cruise and the broad band speed offered is 496 KB download and 450 KB upload, so it is quite slooooow, and the charges are not cheap. Our second holiday is to an island where the charges are $5 for the first minute and $2 per minute thereafter - very expensive. I had thought that if I had a PAYG dongle then I would determine how much I was prepared to pay. Now I am uncertain about the cruise but know I will not be doing anything on the island!!!

OH! Well, it had been a good idea, but it is just not to be.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

At the risk of hi-jacking this thread - Housten you may be better off finding free wi-fi points but beware of security issues with that.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

Many thanks for your reply. I know about wi-fi hotspots but - and I am not trying to crow - but the cruise we are on is 22 days and we visit 7 ports, so the vast balance will be at sea. So wi-fi hotspots are out, even if it is a good idea.

PC840 may I endorse Woolwell's point of view and apologise to you. I hope you understand that I was not trying to hi-jack your thread.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow