We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Word Cursor Start Position Problem

Legslip

Likes # 0

I want to build a letterhead in word that I can regularly use.how do I save it as a template so that the cursor starts in the correct position that I require every time?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You do not say which version of Word you have. In version 2007 you click on the office button top left, then on new, and choose letterhead. You should then be able to save this as a template.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Difarn.I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. it is word 2007

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Selecting the Office button/new/letterhead will only give you a selection of letterhead templates.

This should help you CLICK HERE

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There is a very simple way.

Starting with a blank page, create the Page as you wish it to appear, with your Final Action to be writing of Dear Sir. The Cursor will then be at the end of the Sir.

Select 'Save as' and name it 'z - Letterhead' then select '.dotx' and place it in 'My Documents'.

The 'z -' prefix will place it at the end of your files in My Documents Folder, for easy access. When you open it, the Cursor will be where you left it, at the end of the Sir.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks all so far.

Cant crack it yet.

After I include Dear Sir, in the template, I kick the cursor down two lines to where I want to start writing. This is where I want the cursor to be when I re-open. Can't seem to achieve that yet. So far I can only get the cursor to start flashing in the top left corner in front of text as always.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

How are you Saving it?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

So far I've tried as a Word Template and an XPS document, from the Save As menu. Also tried .dotx after the filename.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If it is saved as a Word template next time you need to use its Word > file > new > 'my templates'.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Or you can do what I do for multi use documents - put the heading into the header along with your address and a text box to put the recipients details in. Save it to your desktop. Then you can just alter the recipient address, type the letter and then do a 'save as' if you want to keep it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more