We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

strange blocks of dots on monitor

Old Geeza

Likes # 0

Hi I have strange blocks of dots dancing around on my monitor, it is not dead pixels but can range from a checkerboard pattern to individual blocks of about 30 to 40 tiny dots in square formation, they are flashing, anybody got any idea please

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Last time I had random blocks of dots it was graphic card overheating. Test this by taking side of your pc and direct a room fan to the pc's inards and then see if problem still occurs. (I found that by leaving side off my tower even without an extra room fan I don't get the problem - keep meaning to sort it out permanently)

Yours might even be a loose lead so check it all out.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, and reseat the graphic card as well, it might have worked loose.

Like this post
Old Geeza

Likes # 0

the pc has onboard graphics, just changed the background and dots only showing on dark background and pictures

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Pixellation square blocks appearing randomly. Seems definitely a graphics problem. Suggestions to try:

Check cables from pc to monitor.

Reseat the RAM, try it with one stick at a time.

Have you looked in Device Manager for yellow triangle with ! in. Maybe you could try updating the driver.

I presume this is a Tower Desktop pc? Have you had the side off and cleaned all dust and fluff out?

Can you try a separate graphic card (borrow or buy).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'