We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop will not load in XP

MuDelta
Resolved

Likes # 0

At startup everything goes normally untill the desktop background appears and then nothing more happens. I can start ok in safe mode and run system restore but with the same result. Activity stops with a blank desktop. How to corect this?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

By 'blank desktop' do you mean you get the background picture but no icons or taskbar etc showing?

If it's okay in Safe Mode (minimal drivers loaded) it points towards some sort of driver corruption. Have you tried another different System Restore point?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you have an XP CD you could run sfc /scannow in command prompt to see if that would help.

Have you downloaded anything lately or added a new security program.

Remove anything plugged into any usb ports.

XP if it is an oldish computer check the air vents for fluff or dust if so inside will also need cleaning.

Maybe PSU on the way out.

Just things to try till someone can give you the proper advice.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Hello lotvic Yes, it's just the background. The taskbar appears afte abouttten minutes but nothing more after that (another 30 minutes!) I have tried three restore opints with no result. How do I find the corrupted driver(s)?

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Jock1e Will try sfc /scannow soon No recent downloads USB ports unplugged Computer cleaned recently PSU seems OK

Thanks for the ideas.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Once you are on the desktop can you click ctrl+alt+delete at the same time and get the task manager? If so then you can click "file" "new task (run....) and type in explorer.exe This will load your desktop. If not then you found your problem. The explorer.exe is missing or corrupt. If you can then open the task manager and click file\new task and type in cmd and hit enter on you keyboard and then type in sfc /scannow Be sure to put the space after sfc and before the / This will do a system file check and scan for missing or corrupt OS files and replace them with the ones off your XP CD or Recovery CD. So have it handy to put in your drive when prompted to do so.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I take it you mean not in safe mode but the blank desktop; control+alt+delete doest work - no response! In safe mode, it just gives my documents. Other ideas?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you have your XP Install Disc take a look here enter link description here

Scroll down and work your way through it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Should have added - this is for a repair option

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

It runs ok if I disable all start up items. Something there.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

then load one at a time and restart pc each time to find the problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?