We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Starting safe mode in Windows XP

Murghalador

Likes # 0

Hi, I have followed the instructions in the windows help to start my computer in safe mode but when I press F8 at the Vaio screen shot all I get is a pinging noise and then the normal sign in screen appears. I used to be able to access safe mode using this process so has something changed or am I beginning to show signs of age? I want to run my security software under safe mode as I believe the computer has a virus which MS Essentials cannot find inder normal operation. Sony Vaio FE28B laptop running XP SP3. Thanks for you help.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

try tapping F5 as the PC is booting up

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

mine s esc key

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

The Sony Vaio should use F8 - according to this article you need to keep the F8 key pressed down, instead of tapping it, before the log-in scree appears, you need to do this immediately after you have booted.

Like this post
G-telware

Likes # 0

Nice Post, thanks for posting

Like this post
Murghalador

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your replies. The vaio does use the F8 key and I have been able to start in safe mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data