We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Genuine or not from Microsoft.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have no reason to think this e-mail is not genuine from Microsoft but I would have thought that I would have got a reply on all 3 different accounts instead of just the one.

We've updated the Microsoft Services Agreement, which governs many of our online services - including your Microsoft account and many of our online products and services for consumers, such as Hotmail, SkyDrive, Bing, MSN, Office.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Mail Desktop and Windows Writer. Please read over the new Microsoft Services Agreement here to familiarise yourself with the changes we've made.

The updated agreement will take effect on 19 October, 2012. If you continue to use our services after 19th October, you agree to the terms of the new agreement or, of course you can cancel your service at any time.

We have modified the agreement to make it easier to read and understand, including using a question and answer format that we believe makes the terms much clearer. We also clarified how Microsoft uses your content to better protect consumers and improve our products, including aligning our usage to the way we're designing our cloud services to be highly integrated across many Microsoft products. We realise you may have personal conversations and store personal files using our products, and we want you to know that we prioritise your privacy.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services!

Microsoft services agreement

Gives a fair bit of reading.Just wondered if everyone got the same notification by e-mail

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes I got one as well - but highly suspicious, and I wouldn't click on the link in the mail which you have included in your posting

See here re rogue Microsoft emails

Rogue Mail?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Surely if you are unsure then you ignore it or at least do some simple research.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you read through Microsoft Answers you will find that there is a lot of confusion about these emails, the general consensus is that there are at least two going around, one of which is genuine and the others are fakes.

A reply from a Microsoft MVP is as follows:

Thank you everyone for continuing to reply on this thread to alert us to the malicious malware problem. Special thanks to our MVPs for their help!

If you received an email regarding the Microsoft Services Agreement update and you're reading your email through the Hotmail or Outlook.com web UI, the legitimate email should have a Green shield that indicates the message is from a Trusted Sender. If the email does not have a Green shield, you can mark the email as a Phishing scam. Do not click through the links in the email if you are not sure it is safe.

For Hotmail, select the message. Click the chevron next to the “Mark as” button to display the drop down list of options. Select “Phishing scam.”

For Outlook.com, select the message. Click on the chevron next to the Junk button to display the drop down list of options. Select “Phishing scam”.

For more information about how to report spam, phishing attacks, or abusive emails, the following article provides useful information: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/hotmail/abuse-phishing-junk-email.

If you want to see more details about the malicous emails and additional information regarding the Java exploit, you can read the blog posted by our Online Services Security Officer at

https://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=14020 .

Thank you again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I knew they were wanting us to use the new Microsoft outlook for our mail.

I must admit it looks 100% genuine but will remove it now and run my security programs just to be in the safe side.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Will leave this open for the rest of the day just in case others got the same e-mail and were not sure what to do with it.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

On 2nd thoughts I will close it so that no one will open the Microsoft services agreement that I posted.

Like this post
Salut

Likes # 0

I too have this new 'Microsoft' email... As I hadn't woken up properly I treated in with huge scepticism, toddled off and had a coffee then went to work. There are at least five in the office that received the same email. So far that has been the highlight of an otherwise dull wet day.

I work on the simple premise, if I am uncertain, delete it...

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Just a postscript. chub_tor's first link will not work without first deleting the full stop at the end of the line.

And a point to Jock1e - resolving the thread will not stop people being able to click on links.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015